Saturday, January 10, 2009

"Zerozerocommentscomments" - Does this imagery frighten you?

Guys seriously I just turned off comments and it's like, the best. It's been a couple of minutes now and it feels, I'm not gonna lie to you, it feels good.

Here's an introduction, leading up to my contention: Pitchfork would suck (a lot more) if there were comments - just random little bits of meaningless text to draw your mind from the subjects at hand - the same goes for Tiny Mix Tapes? MarriedtotheSea?
And here's my contention: comments suck. The whole comment arena creates awkwardness for both the commenter and the commentee. Unless it doesn't. In which case, that's great. Whatevs.

Now! Now that that's over with, I'd like to continue right along to another contention.
And here it is: 'The Glow pt. 2' is probably not the optimal album for the majority of kids, genuinely curious to hear the Microphones, to cut their teeth on.
See, I've seen people who just have the glow pt. 2, and most of the time it's the beginning and end of their Microphones journey. Stay tuned for speculation on why.

It's huge.
The songs are all hidden.
All of the noise that obscures the songs, it all comes across in the first few listens as mean or pointless or posturing or all of the above. Or something.
I'm fully aware that I have no scientific basis to judge the music in comparison to his other works (in relation to first listens), but here's what I do have - exhibit a - right here in these dot points.
  • I love the Microphones.
  • The first album I heard was 'The Glow pt. 2'.
  • It took me eight or nine months to finally enjoy it in any real way.
  • Now compare points 1 and 3.
  • Yes I'm a patientish person, but my point is, you don't need to be! You shouldn't need to be.
  • Who WANTS to put in that kind of time when the album released directly before 'The Glow pt. 2' was 'It Was Hot, We Stayed In The Water', which a- is perfect, b- I loved to fucking pieces after the first 10 minutes, and c- reeks far less of "you're supposed to like this because of 'influence' and 'prestige'"ness, instead opting for a clear focus on being straight awesome.
Honestly, if you were to hear the three main Microphones albums in order you would have to agree, there's a narrative and a clear order and a clear artistic path, gently winding its way from what is 'awesome(/inclusive)' (and creative and emotive) to what is more 'artistic(/exclusive)' (and creative and emotive) ... By the time you get to the end, you know Phil, you know his deal, and you feel invited despite the poison ivy all over the place.
'Glow pt 2' is in the middle. It's transitional.
This isn't really a pet peeve, I just think that if you're gonna get one, it might be a good idea to leave the classic alone for a bit, and start at the start, where you'll feel welcome.

.

.